Why Plus Sized?

To give you a little background on the business, over the next couple of Saturdays I'm going to explain why I chose this path. Bryony Studios focuses on creating handwoven clothes and accessories for twenty and thirty something women.

One of my Wraps
The accessories I create be they poncho, wrap, shrug, shawl or something else are for every woman, but I specifically chose the plus-sized fashions for clothing.

Why?

It's simple - there was a need for quality items of artisanal value in this group. The other reason - it's my size. I'm considered plus-sized, and even as I lose weight to gain a healthier life, I will remain in the larger sizes because I'm tall (5'9") and curvy.

Local, Fair Trade Clothes

I've always struggled with my weight as many women do. We can take three approaches to our weight: (1) force our bodies into the "ideal size" even if that size is unattainable, (2) ignore our health, or (3) accept our bodies and limitations while maintaining a healthy lifestyle with rest, exercise, good nutrition and stress reduction.

Not every woman is destined to be a size eight, ten or twelve. Even at my lowest weight, I still could not fit into most size twelve clothes. Besides, "plus-sized" I think is a misnomer. We assume that plus-sized women are not healthy, but many are healthy, just tall or curvy. When I look for clothes I like, which also support another artisan from elsewhere or are made from renewable materials, ecologically raised, harvested and produced, I hit a wall: I simply cannot find clothing in my size.

In fact, in one place, I did find XL clothes ... until I went to the measurement list. The company's XL was an US Size 10.

Ouch.

If I had a hard time finding clothes to fit me, I realized other women had to be in the same situation. As I looked at fashion styles reflecting my personal tastes, I found I was once again looking at clothing geared and made for smaller women, not curvy women. It was as though to be curvy meant that I would like frilly clothing. I don't. I'm more natural or bohemian in my tastes - though it isn't always apparent because I can't always find clothes in my size I like.

Where do I find clothing to fit my taste, size and price-range? Bryony was born from that struggle. Ultimately, it is the outgrowth of my weaving, but it is a combination of creating unique items women of all sizes can enjoy.

The Vision

By taking a spin on the traditional store, I realized items for plus-sized women would be a good market. Added to this, by creating accessory to go with the fashions, I could reach more women who may be too small to fit in the clothes, but still liked handcrafted wraps, bags and scarves.

I don't want Bryony to turn into the plus-sized only line, because it's not meant to be. It's handcrafted, handwoven clothes and accessories created for twenty and thirty something women. While the clothes target larger sizes, I want women of all sizes to find items in my line they can love and enjoy.

Personally, I would like to see in my lifetime, clothing lines discontinue the term plus-sized as though it is some sort of after-thought. I would like to see a day in which women can find clothing in their size, and not have to worry about what size they are, only that they are healthy at their size.

Is Bryony the answer to it? Probably not, but I hope Bryony is a step towards that vision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

Spring - it is a'comin'