Why Artisanal?

In recent years, I've tend to stay away from purchasing certain items through the store. Some of the purchases are because I can make the items like scarves and quilts. Others are because I need too make the items like skirts. Still others are made because of a particular color combination I want. Then there is the uniqueness of the item - I don't necessarily want to be like everyone else. Other times it boils down to wanting quality.

Soap from Chicory Farm
My family values quality. We may not always have a lot of stuff, but what we have will last a few generations. I understand craftsmanship, and expect to pay a little more for it. The long-term benefit of keeping the item makes the item worthwhile.

Where I grew up in the Lancaster County region of Pennsylvania, people understood this concept: pay a little higher price for something that will last longer. We realized that paying a hundred dollars for a table which would last maybe five years was less valuable than paying five hundred dollars for a table that would last fifty years. Not everyone understands that concept, unfortunately. Education is a big portion of what I do where I live in Western NY.

People travel to my home town area to purchase Amish-made furniture and quilts. In addition, they discover the other artisans and craftsman that call Southeast PA home. The people from there and elsewhere understand that putting money into small business and arts keeps the money in the region.

We also understand the power of money to help those around the world. The company Ten Thousand Villages is headquartered in Lancaster County. Yet, for some reason when people look for fair-trade goods, it seems that the plus-sized fashions are nowhere to be found.

As I've developed Bryony Studios, I knew I would create the items sold through the company. The items sold whether a scarf or a dress can be made locally, handcrafted with care and attention to details while at the same point being unique. Does it cost a little more? Yes, but with the extra cost comes the knowledge that the item will last.

Personally, the money I put out for a tea set made by a potter is worth it when I know that I am getting something unique, handcrafted and beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

Spring - it is a'comin'