When Reality Hits Us

As one develops an artisan studio things come up. Unexpected things that blindside you, and whack you on the head, and make you reconsider everything you've done.

Things like ... reality.

Niagara Falls, January 2014
Reality is mean because it gives us facts like gravity. In the real world, if I jump off a cliff, I will fall and most likely hurt myself. In fantasy, I can fly. Reality limits us in ways we didn't expect, but those limitations can always be harnessed. I might not be able to run and jump off a cliff without falling, but with the knowledge of wingspan and winds, I can fly with hang-gliders and parachutes.

Sometimes in the process of building a business or expanding a business, reality whacks us right between the eyes. It looks and feels like Niagara Falls in winter: cold, miserable, wet, and somehow mesmerizing.

We know how reality limits us, but within those limitations, we also sometimes see the means to fly.

Recently, I had reality brought forward. A new venture always has its elements of romance. I picture myself working in my studio without the troubles of family, pets or other people. I can work in peace with the added benefit of having other creative minds in the building with me. Boutiques would purchase my items, and I could do well.

I planned on entering a wholesale market thereby creating items around the fashion calendar of Summer and Winter. It's a good idea, but it means a lot of work, much of which, I'm not certain works for me.

Wholesale, for those who don't know the term, is what the retail store pays the manufacturer for clothes. Part of the reason large retail stores can offer their clothes for lower prices is because they are able to buy in bulk. It's the whole concept of buy this many doodads for this price, but if you buy two more we put you in a new bracket, and you can save an additional five cents off each doodad.

Retail is the price the consumer pays at the store. When you purchase only one item, the price will be higher because of rarity. Therefore, items like paintings or sculptures cost more than a print might cost.

Decisions, Decisions

Wholesale comes with its own hassles. In the artisan community, this is referred to as a production artisan. You can have production weavers, production painters, production potters and production carpenters. When you run in this category, a lot of the work is utilized creating the same thing over and over. If that concept is hard for an artist, chances are they wouldn't do well in the production end of the arts.

On the other end, you have the consumer end of arts. These are the ones most people traditionally think of when they think of artists. The individual creates unique items and often sells at art shows, online or through galleries. Within the artisan community, these items look different, and can often appear less practical, though sometimes they are highly practical.

In weaving, a production weaver might focus on one aspect of fashion or housewares. She might make scarves or ponchos, but nothing else, while another is exclusively a rug maker and another does towels, dishcloths and placemats. A weaver focused directly on the art end of weaving might focus on tapestries or transparencies (go here for an explanation of transparencies). They might focus on rugs or on wearable art.

I enjoy the weaving process, even as I enjoy the creation process. I'm stuck between the two portions of it, but I realize that creating a large amount of items would probably overwhelm me. Which was when reality hit me in the face.

As I proceed forward, I will have to decide if I want to go production or not. In all honesty, there will probably remain a portion of production within my weaving, but how much remains to be seen. Currently, it looks more like I will make wearable art.

On Thursday, I'll describe what wearable art is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

Spring - it is a'comin'