Not My Color

I will be the first to admit I tend to the cool spectrum. My favorite colors are, and probably will always remain, black, purple and silver. According to color theory, that combination makes me creative, mysterious and elegant.

Not certain about mysterious and elegant, but creative, definitely.

What I don't choose on a regular basis are warm colors. I can't wear them well, so I tend to avoid them at all possible costs. Warm colors are wonderful for kitchens and dining rooms. They're great accent colors, but I tend to use them rarely even when weaving.

Unfortunately as a designer of woven wearable art, I can't limited myself to my color choices. I need to create clothes that work well on other skin types and attract other people.
Summer Color Scheme
Choosing colors such as the ones above can prove frustrating to me. I wouldn't normally choose the colors, but advice was given to me last week that I will take to heart: visit stores in the mall. I'm not one who enjoys going shopping unless at a bookstore or a yarn store. I prefer to design my own to my own style, but walking through the mall provides me color combinations I wouldn't have chosen or considered.

The three colors above are salmon, sunset and raspberry. They are a summery mix which I'll use with stripes to create a poncho, I think. When I finish the warp, I show it off.

One thing I've learned beyond visiting malls, is to look at the colors. I find treating my cones of yarn like a still life helps me consider colors in different settings. By rearranging them occasionally, I find a new combination I wouldn't have considered beforehand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'

Creating a Palette - Photographs