It's Alive

No, I haven't created a monster ... yet, but I've been arguing with my Grandmama's looms over the past ten years (she died in 2003, and I took over the looms a year later). They have been a trial, in every sense of the word, both good and bad.

The Loom Called Helen
For most of the past six months or so, this monster (above) has sat beside the studio door waiting. Yes, it does appear to be sticking out its tongue, and yes, that is how it behaves. It is, to say the least, ornery. On this loom, however, is an experiment in weaving. It's a simple pattern called bird's-eye which creates a beautiful pattern. The pattern is quite old, but very practical.

Researching looms, how they work and are made, also plays into the books. Thankfully, the frustrations with the looms have provided first-hand accounts that might show up in a book. Grandmama's looms are called counter-balance looms which means to weave everything has to be balanced. Other types of looms include jack looms and counter-marche looms, the later being more or less a combination of the previous two.

In many cases, actually arguing with equipment and patterns helps writers understand what characters went through. Because of my weaving, I know roughly how long it takes me to warp the loom as well as weave. I also know the pain in the back that can develop, the sore shoulders, and the joy of watching a pattern develop.

It is encouraging to have the loom back, though it's still a bit touch and go until I have everything squared away. Until then, I'll enjoy the quirks of weaving because, like all art, it's part of the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'

Creating a Palette - Photographs