Color Palettes - Warping

Last week, I focused on creating a color palette from color inspiration to choices of yarn. Today, I'm going to focus on ways to set up the warp. To begin, there are two ways to measure the warp for a loom: indirect and direct.

Warp in Heddles
For my floor looms, I use the indirect warping method. This means simply that I use a warping board to measure my warp. The warp is then taken off the loom and put onto the loom which is called dressing the loom.

Warping Board
For my rigid heddle looms, I use the direct warping method. For this, I place my loom the length of my warp away from my warping pole. When I dress the loom, I also measure my warp.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it depends on which loom I happen to be setting up. I tend to design in the dressing process for my direct warping method, however for my indirect method, I have it planned out. The primary reason for the differences is when I design for the floor looms, I usually have worked out the project either on the computer or at least in my mind.

To develop the color combinations for the indirect method can be done on your computer. I use the program WeaveDesign, but there are a couple other programs out there as well.

Another idea is to wrap the yarns you'll use in your warp around a card to develop the color ideas. For this suggestion, take the yarn you plan to use, and cut a rectangle one or two inches tall by three or four inches long. Wrap the yarn around the rectangle in a color way. You might want to make a couple up to see which you like best.

If you have a medley of yarns with interesting texture (ribbon, eyelash and the like) I suggest using the wrapped cards method opposed to the computer method. The reason is because you can see the texture on the cards which you cannot see on the computer.

Weaving, like all fiber arts, has a great deal of art in it. While there are "recipes" out there for a particular project, developing your own style as you design your projects helps you expand what you can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring - it is a'comin'

Beyond the Scarf - Purses