Spring - it is a'comin'

Someday, I hope.

Spring Flowers
I took this photograph about two years ago in late spring. I just thought the flowers looked pretty, and honestly, I like the color.

This year, winter has taken far too long to leave. We had a snowstorm over the weekend, but it's warming up now.

The weather folk expect yet another small storm, but eventually - they assure us - spring will return to Western New York.

Thinking of the warm weather makes me smile because I'm tired of the cold. I've mentioned it before, but I didn't live my entire life in Western NY. I actually grew up in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country of Southeastern PA. Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. were practically in my backyard. Within an hour or two, I could be in one of the cities. Winters were cool and wet, but rarely freezing or snowy. Spring came in March with the crocuses and tulips.

According to a recent news account, Buffalo had around 150" of snow this year ... do the math, and that's over twelve feet. To those who are concerned, no, we did not have it all at once. The number is total accumulation, which means with the melting snow and new layers of snow we had that much.

Still, though, it's a lot of snow when the numbers are given.

As a fiber artist, winter is a good season for me, because I can wear many of my scarves and shawls. Spring, summer and autumn are fun too, because I can enjoy the warm weather, and think of ways to capture that warmth in what I create. I weave year round; unlike say quilting or knitting which sometimes requires you to keep the weight on your body while you work, weaving doesn't. It's one of those activities that can be done in the summer months.

Like knitting, weaving can create items for summer as well as winter. A lacy weave can work as a summer top or as a scarf for winter protection. For me, it's a challenge to see beyond the generic scarves, table runners and placemats. I make these items, but garments are what intrigue me. This year, I begin the process to create cloth for clothing.

Spring promises new life and warmer days. It's a season of change, and a season of hope. It's a season where we shed the layers of winter for the simplicity of summer. This spring, I'll shed the layers of what seemed to work, and find something that does work.

It should prove to be an interesting spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

When Reality Hits Us