Sewing up the Warp

Well, I finished the project. Turned out to be a shirt, and not a dress, however. Oh well. Lessons learned, right?

Front of shirt
Here's a shot of the front of the shirt. This was woven with 8/2 cotton at 12.5 epi (ends per inch) on my 12" loom. Actual weaving width on loom is around 11.5".

Once washed, the material shrank to 10" wide. Overall, I had around one yard of the lighter colored material (that on top) and two yards of the darker material (that on the bottom).

I use a mixture of peach, teaberry and rust colors to create the warp, but I only used peach and teaberry to weave. Coral was the lighter color and teaberry the medium pink in the shirt.

Back of shirt
What I discovered while creating the shirt surprised me. First of all, I it's surprising what you can make out of three yards of 10" material. As you can tell, I ran out of fabric for my sleeves.

Second, it proved interesting putting the items together. It's definitely one of those measure twice, and sew once situations. Also, having the lining (the white fabric) also is necessary to secure the woven material.

Because of the edges of the woven fabric were cut, I needed to secure them. Previously, I used iron-on interfacing, but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. This time, I actually used a lining which helped with the weight of the fabric as well as protect the seems.

All things considered, I like the finished project, and think it turned out well for my first attempt at using a purchased pattern.

On a side note, I mentioned a new project I was creating for my sister's Christmas present. The photograph to the right is the finished and washed warp.

This is a 8/2 cotton warp at 12.5 epi with a rayon chenille weft.

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

Chenille and Cotton Scarf

Beyond the Scarf - Purses