Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Creating accessories for my dresses and tops are part of the enjoyable part of weaving, though currently, I haven't actually made a set. Sometimes, I have extra fabric leftover from other projects and need to create items for it.

Clutch
The above clutch was an example of leftover warp. I ended up using up the chenille weft for the warp, and still had close to 20" left on the warp which I didn't want to waste. Thankfully, I had some wool yarn which went with the warp and weft. Since I had wanted to experiment with Danish medallions again, I decided to use this warp for the experiment, though the wool didn't felt as much as I expected it would.

This is an example of beautiful items made from little pieces of material. The material is too small for a scarf, but not useful for much of anything else. At this point, I tend to use the fabric to make purses.

One thing to remember when using handwoven fabric for a purse is the need for a lining, otherwise items might slight through the fabric, or worse get caught in the fabric. I used a satin fabric that was a tint lighter than the fabric itself. For the closure, I found an old button my grandma had, and used it.

On a side note for those who enjoy costumes and re-enacting, with the 71st anniversary of D-day in a few days, using handwoven fabric is a good way to make up the purses and clutches reminiscent of the 1930s-1950s. My grandma learned to weave in the 1940s, and we have a few purses made from fabric she wove in the time period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference

Chenille and Cotton Scarf