Beyond the Scarf - an Overview

Last week I mentioned the new series "Beyond the Scarf", and its focus on creating items beyond straight garments.

Two Scarves, Wool and Cotton

Scarves, of course, can be practical, useful items. I live in Western New York (near Buffalo), and a good scarf in the middle of winter is a valuable accessory, but I can only wear so many scarves at once, and with my coat, I only need one or two scarves, yet I enjoy weaving.

Now, however, I'm working on ways I can move beyond simple scarves. Some of the items I've used scarf width (10" at the max) material for include:
  1. Dishcloths
  2. Runners
  3. Purses/clutches
  4. Totes
  5. Dress
  6. Coat
  7. Shirt
Some of the items are easier to make such as dishcloths - all you need to do is cut them down so they form a fat rectangle. After the cloth is hemmed, it should form a square.

Purses, clutches and totes are all easy to make as well, depending on how items are made. I often use my scrap fabric for clutches, but for purses and totes, I tend to plan out the project a little bit.

Recently, however, it's been the clothing that has intrigued me. How do I make beautiful items without simply making boxed-shape items such as what was used in the Ancient World. The answer has proven easier and more interesting than I thought it would be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference