Wasting Yarn

One of the things most weavers have after awhile is a collection of leftover yarn. It's easier to purchase cones of yarn, but I rarely use all the yarn for a project. Now I have bits and bobs of various colors. Not all the colors go together, but sometimes they do.


In this case, since it's getting close to March, and I had a lot of green, I opted to play with the greens. Ended up emptying two more cones just in the warp. I chose a rich forest green as the primary color (both for the warp and weft). With the forest color, I alternated another four colors: serenity, olive, teal and sea green.

Out of the five colors, serenity was the only one not technically green, but was actually a pale blue. You can see it in the photograph above (second color on the left).

While weaving, however, the blue blends in with the other colors quite well. I put on about five yards of warp, which should turn into a couple of scarves, one of which could be extra long. I won't know for certain how everything turns out until after the yarn goes through the wash. All in all, however, I think it did well.

What impresses me the most is the unisex coloring. Over the summer, one of the requests I had were for more "guy colors". During the off-season, I've been working on adding more "guy colors" to the shopping scheme. After all, while I focus on plus-size handwoven fashion, many women have husbands, boyfriends, brothers, sons and friends to shop for. Also, I realize many women don't like "girly" colors of lavender, rose and blush.

Using up the bits and bobs is a good way to challenge yourself to create new color schemes. It is easier to start monochromatic, but don't be afraid to play with colors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'