The Further Adventures of Helen

I'm almost to the point where I want to make a series out of troubles with Helen the Loom, but it's more frustrating and less funny.



Suffice it to say if I ever incorporate old looms into any books, I will have plenty of first hand experience.

After repairing her, she broke the strings again, actually a couple times more. Finally, it was suggested that I use a thicker string to hold up the shafts. When Grandmama had the loom originally, it appeared that she used some sort of twine, but all I had handy was cotton rug warp.

Oddly enough, it is only the right side that causes me trouble, the left hand side works fairly well, all things considered. I can't stomp down on the treadles like I would on a jack loom, but as long as I press gently, the loom works ... then the right side snaps.

I found thread I needed for binding up a book, and will use it to bind up the side of Helen ... hopefully it will work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'

Weaving History - Space makes the Difference