Craziness

Tomorrow is my first time at the Saturday Artisan Market in beautiful Buffalo NY. Today has been the mad dash to put everything together, and figure out what I needed to do.

Craziness.

St. Padraig's Poncho
Above is a photo of one of the three ponchos for sale. I planned on a fourth one, but measuring and cutting this morning didn't work out right. One of the joys of art - problems always arise. Still, it wasn't a bad situation, and I was able to turn my poncho into a shrug.

For me, one of the biggest fears is cutting the woven fabric wrong and not being able to use it for anything. It's one of the things about weaving that makes me realize how valuable fabric is - the time and energy. To create fabric takes time. To turn the fabric into clothing takes more time. To care for the fabric takes patience and knowledge of the fabric.

I sit back and wonder at the knowledge we've lost in our push for cheap clothes. How does it hurt us individually? How does it hurt us culturally? How does it hurt our environment and economies? I don't know, but I do know that the process of making clothes cheap isn't necessarily a good thing.

What will be fun is to meet others who share the same passion and love to create with our hands. To find individuals in the Buffalo area who value items for their beauty as well as their practicality. It should prove to be a fun and interesting day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Scarf - Purses

Spring - it is a'comin'

Creating a Palette - Photographs